So, I like talking shit, and if your a regular here, you’ll agree! So earlier, I asked the “lovely and not at all aloof” forum posters on a well known RPG forum, if they could offer any suggestions to add to my mad, get monetised quick scheme. As you might imagine, it’s good job that there exists those stalwart fellows on the ‘tinternet, as i didn’t feel at all as I might have wasted time trying to explain my point (well, thing is…) or did I explain, cos’ in my tiny British brain, I may as well be regurgitating porridge whilst reciting “I’m ‘Enery the ‘Aif I am”, cause I got diddly squat out of the effort.
Ok, so I know I’m pedantic, sometimes manic, and confuse (on purpose) but maybe I wasn’t making sense as the language barrier could have been a problem, but I’m pretty sure that, it felt as I was being looked down on. Whatever it was, the advice so far is pretty shit. Listen, I have come to the conclusion that you should never let anyone tell you that you shouldn’t go for your ideas, just from someone else’s opinion (unless it’s way too stupid/dangerous) But, if you think you can do it, then fucking do it. Screw the doubters!
The only advice worth anything was a link to Patreon, ok so, I haven’t attempted to embrace Patreon before now, simply because I could not rationalise what work I’d need to get done in addition to everything else I do, time is limited, energy is too. Also, I’m not greatly organised, and I always shunned it because I wouldn’t have wanted to let any would be patrons down (which I could have done if I didn’t think stuff out correctly.) Others seem to have much more confidence in me than I have in myself, so while I always knew I’d revisit it down the road, I thought that it was about time to throw myself under the train, and get my head around it. Loads of really below par web creators seem to make cash from it, and I’m just as below par as them, so you might as well sign me up for a piece of that Patreon pie!!
I’ll admit, it blagged my head a bit to see what the hell I could do to fit my particular brand of stuff into the framework, and I won’t tell you that I know everything about it, cause I don’t, but I try and look at everything as a way of challenging my brain before I turn into a cabbage. So, with that in mind, I do hope that at least a couple of you actually understand the system better than I, and that I can pick your brains with a few ideas of how I’m going to approach my virgin Patreon experience, so please, be gentle with me….make it special….
I’m not going to put concrete numbers on these reward ideas, I just want some feedback to see if I’d be worth being funded in this way. Am I worth it, or are my ideas, not investible, so suggestions please if you have them, I’d rather these rewards be something useful and worth potential value to those willing to put any faith in me!
Are we ready? Then lets begin!
- SUPPORT TEAM GRIMSKULL: This I’d imagine is the lowest tier of reward I would offer, basically it’d be a page with a scroll of honour listing all Patrons of this level. Possibly a single page in each of my PDF publications as thanks to everyone for support.
- IT’S GRIM UP NORTH: The next tier up would be an all round news and ramble, keeping Patrons in the loop, behind the scenes at Grinning Skull Towers, humour and general banter. All wrapped up in a entertaining article each month.
- GRIM UNCENSORED: These articles will be focused on more ranting, raving, not holding back on offensive content, sarcasm, humour. On a variety of topics across the board, whatever comes into mind as what would entertain will do the job.
- DEAR UNCLE GRIM…:A regular Q&A with me, serious or funny, pitch book ideas at me, ask me relationship advice (No, I’m joking, please don’t, I’m shite at it, you should see the state of my marriage, it’s a mess, like a steaming pile of dog crap topped with vomit!) Even ask me on a date! (I am no easy lay, so don’t think your going to get lucky!!)
- GRIM’S MAGNIFICENT MANUAL OF MONTHLY MONSTERS: This is sort of like a bestiary, each month I’ll create an imagined creature from my imagination, illustrate it in detail, then write a sizable chunk of fiction, ecological details and background to bring it to life. Bonus will be that eventually there will be enough finished material to republish in book form, and make more profit on it, hell I could even get someone to stat the beasts up with popular RPG games to make it even more useful.
- GRIM’S DUNGEONS OF DOOM; THE CONTINUING SAGA!: Yes this is a follow on from the popular article series on this very blog, I know many of you still want this, but there is a lot of time and prep that goes into each one, the photos, construction, planning, painting, instructions and all that can make it quite time consuming, so personally I’m not sure about this one, I think the efforts would make it top tier, but the bonus is that again, the articles can be collected into publications for release later on.
Well, there we have seven ideas for rewards, no idea if they’d prove popular enough to be ok for Patreon or those out there who follow me and my randomness, chaos and twisted nature.
One thing is for sure, it makes sense to pre-prepare about 6 months worth of material before launching. Making it easy to get into the flow. I admit, I still need to ask lots of questions about topics I haven’t covered yet, but so far the potential for this is much better than fiverr, not impressed at all with that shit, maybe I haven’t given it enough time just yet, but from all what I’ve read thus far, this could make a significant additional revenue stream.
I guess the advice wasn’t so bad after all?
But I throw this back to you lot for you to give me your opinions and your views. Would you change anything? Would you suggest more ideas to the mix? What about pricing? Would you be my Patron, or simply tell me to fuck off! Hey, I realize that net apathy applies whenever I ask for feedback, but you never know without asking! Any tips on Patreon you know? Best places to get Patrons etc etc.
Comments in the box below to continue the discussion.
Next on the agenda, get ready to meet the Skulltaliser!!